Thai Sticky Rice
Thai sticky rice can made quite efficiently in the microwave.
The traditional method is to soak for 0.75-10 hours, then
steam for 20-40 minutes in a bamboo steamer.
This microwave method works just about as well, and has the
advantage that the last step can be done in less than a minute
right before serving.
The first rest after boiling allows the rice to soak up water.
The second heating completes cooking of the rice, and can be done
just before you are ready to serve.
- Soak sticky (glutenous) rice for 10 minutes to about 4 hours.
- Barely cover rice with water, and microwave until it just begins to boil.
- Fluff rice and cover for at least 5 minutes.
This rest can be several hours if you want to wait until
the rest of the meal is ready.
- Fluff rice again, and microwave until hot.
- Fluff once more, and serve.
Can be refrigerated after the initial rest.
Can also be refrigerated for several days and reheated before serving.
Some people prefer the rice to be refrigerated for a while, since this
longer rest gives the rice time to turn clear.
Last modified: Sat Apr 14 10:36:41 MDT 2012