This is based (loosely) off of an Indian potato recipe in a
tomato sauce. I have altered it with the addition
of the fennel, beer, and stock.
with asafedita and cumin
- Boil (or pressure cook) 8-10 potatos, remove their
skins, crush into 1-2 cubic inch size pieces and set aside.
- In a large pot (or saute pan) place 2 tbsp. of oil (or ghee)
This should only take a few seconds.
- 1/2 tsp whole cumin seed
- 1/4 tsp whole fennel seed
- 1/8 tsp ground asafetida
- 3-4 small, red drid chili peppers (chili pequin), lighly crushed.
- Add the drained potatoes to the oil and begin to saute.
- Add 1/2 tbp tumeric and saute until lightly browned, just
a few minutes.
- Add 14 oz tomato sauce, and a pint of liquid
(beer or stock)
- Add salt (or bullion) to taste.
- Simmer. Ready to eat in about 15 minutes, but a slow
1-hour simmer will develop smoother flavor.
Last modified: Wed Nov 23 08:24:45 MST 2005